Efosa Airuehia, MD, DABAM, FAPA
Dr. Airuehia is fondly referred to by his patients and colleagues as Dr. Air. He is a passionate, empathic physician who believes in a holistic evidence-based approach to treatment. Dr. Airuehia is quadruple board certified in General Psychiatry, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Addictions Medicine and Lifestyle Medicine.
His psychiatry training commenced in the West Midlands School of Psychiatry, Birmingham, England where he obtained his Membership with the Royal College of Psychiatrists, England (MRCPsych). He subsequently moved to the United States where he completed 3 years of residency training in General Psychiatry and then an additional 2 years of training in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry with the University of Missouri Columbia. This was shortly followed by his board certification in Addictions Medicine. He is an Honorary Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, a Member of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry and a Member of the American Board of Lifestyle Medicine.
Dr. Airuehia’s extensive training and work experience place him in a good stead to render individualized professional expertise in the management of adults with various mental health disorders and addictions, using evidence based practices. Dr. Airuehia’s education and work in Nigeria, England and the United States presented him the unique exposure to patients from various ethnic backgrounds and socioeconomic statuses, and as such, a broad cultural overview as relates to patients with mental health issues. Just as notable has been his engagement in academic psychiatry, teaching numerous medical students, residents, nurses and also giving presentations, engaging in research and publishing articles in medical journals.
He regularly updates his knowledge base in keeping with being a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and the American Board of Addiction Medicine. This infers that he is constantly abreast of clinical updates and scientific studies which ensure patients get the best treatment approved by the scientific community. When appropriate, he collaborates with other professionals to ensure the best care for his patients.
Dr. Airuehia has openings for new patients and accepts both self-pay and various insurance plans.
- Board Certification in General Psychiatry (Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology)
- Board Certification in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology)
- Board Certification in Addiction Medicine (Diplomate of the American Board of Addiction Medicine)
- Fellow of The American Psychiatric Association (FAPA)
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, England (MRCPsych) – West Midlands School of Psychiatry, England) 2008
- A review of ‘Bath Salts’: Evolving Designer Drugs of Abuse –Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse. Published in March, 2015
- Laundry Detergent Pod Abuse: A New Adolescent Trend? – Newsletter of the Missouri Psychiatric Association 2013
- A Complex Equation: Low Mood, Fatigue and Hyperphagia – Psychiatric Annals, December 2013. Vol 43.
- Suicidality and Melancholia in a 17 year old female – Psychiatric Annals. August 2014
- Total Serum Cholesterol Levels and Alzheimer’s Dementia in persons with Down Syndrome – International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2008
- Interview Room Safety in Learning Disability Units; A Comparison with General Adult Units – British Journal of Developmental Disabilities, 2008
- The First Confirmed Case of Down Syndrome with Dementia with Lewy Bodies – Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 2009